Causes & risk factors
Risks of a hypoglycaemic episode
Episodes of hypoglycaemia can range from uncomfortable to life-threatening.
Long-term clinical impact
- Cryer PE. Elimination of hypoglycemia from the lives of people affected by diabetes. Diabetes 2011;60:24.
- Musen G et al. Impact of Diabetes and Its Treatment on Cognitive Function Among Adolescents Who Participated in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial. Diabetes Care. 2008; 31:1933–1938.
- Kaira SK et al. Hypoglycemia: The neglected complication. Indian J Endocrinol Metab 2013;17:819–834.
- Cato A & Hershey T. Cognition and Type 1 Diabetes in Children and Adolescents. Diabetes Spectr 2016;197–202.
- Jacobson AM et al. Cognitive performance declines in older adults with type 1 diabetes: results from 32 years of follow-up in the DCCT and EDIC Study. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol.2021;9:436-445,
- Desouza CV et al. Diabetes Care. 2010;1389–1394.
- Davis SN et al. Effects of Severe Hypoglycemia on Cardiovascular Outcomes and Death in the Veterans Affairs Diabetes Trial. Diabetes Care 2019;42:157–163.
- Hsu PF et al. Association of Clinical Symptomatic Hypoglycemia With Cardiovascular Events and Total Mortality in Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2013;36:894–900.
- Reifergerste D & Hartleib S. Hypoglycemia-related information seeking among informal caregivers of type 2 diabetes patients: Implications for health education. J Clin Transl Endocrinol. 2016;4:7–12.